Friday, July 16, 2010

Tomato Pie?!

Hi all and welcome to another fabulous Friday!!! Back at Easter, Lori from Shopaholic in Alabama posted her family's recipe for tomato pie and I was intrigued. We made it for Easter brunch and it was so very yummy. Well, with all the fresh tomatoes out, I decided I wanted to make it again, but couldn't find her recipe. So, I tried to remember what I could and also used Paula and Bobby (lighter recipe) Deen's recipes and this is what I came up with. Please do try it, as it's surprisingly good. This coming from someone who really isn't a tomato lover.



Tomato Pie


1 refrigerated pie crust (I used Pillsbury)


Good Parmesan/Romano Cheese blend


1-1.25 lbs fresh tomatoes* cut into slices


1/2 of a medium Vidalia onion cut into thin strips


10 chopped fresh basil leaves

1 Cup reduced fat mayo (I use Hellmann's Light)

1 Cup grated cheddar cheese

1 Cup Italian blend (I used Sargento 4 cheese Italian reduced fat)

A few drops of hot sauce

Bake pie crust according to box directions (Bake just until slightly golden, as it will be going back into the oven.) Take pie crust out of the oven and add Parm/Romano blend cheese to bottom -- enough to coat the bottom of the crust and let cool.


While baking pie crust, slice tomatoes and let drain on paper towels. Slice onion and chop basil leaves. Make topping by combining mayo, cheeses and hot sauce.


Preheat oven to 350.


Layer half the tomatoes, onions and bail in pie crust and repeat layers with the other half. Spread the mayo and cheese topping over top making sure to cover. Bake for about 1 hour or until lightly browned.**


Cut into slices and serve warm.

*Note: Be adventerous, go to your local farmer's market and see what variety of tomatoes they have for sale. Last time, I forget what variety I used, but the one tomato I used weighed about 1.25 lbs and was delicious!!

**Note: Most recipes say 30 minutes, but it seems like it always takes an hour for me to bake.



Hope y'all have fun baking and can't wait to hear what you think. TTFN!


XOXO,

Kim

1 comment:

  1. That relly sounds yummy BUT I don't eat tomatoes!! Can't stand them, LOL...and go ahead and add onions in the mix too!

    Happy Follow Friday!

    ReplyDelete