Friday, April 16, 2010

Be Nice!

Hi all!  Observing the the world around me, I have begun to notice many people have forgotten how to be nice.  It saddens me to think I live in a place where even the most basic please and thank you's have become a lost art.  What has happened?  Do people really believe their actions do not reflect upon them or that by being on a computer they are truly annonymous?

While some may look for someone to blame and others will continue on this path, I believe we should remember how important good manners are.  We should all be nice!  Not fake or insincere, but simply charming and kind to those around us.  Does that mean we placate to rudeness?  No!  That being said, we also shouldn't look at ourselves as being better than those who offend.  Simply say, I'm sorry you're having a bad day.  Is there anything I can do to make it better?"  When met with a stunned look, you usually can graciously walk away knowing you have given the other person something to think about.

It seems there are two types of rudeness.  The first is where a person truly doesn't know any better, this type of rudeness can be excused and the offender should be told why they are rude.  Hopefully, this will cause the person to stop the behavior and learn from their mistakes.  The second form of rudeness seems to come from a deep place within a very sad individual who, though they may not know it, doesn't even like themself.  Now, this is the tough one.  I don't know if this type of offender can be reformed, but your response to them must be thoughtful.  Don't quip back!  This is exactly what they are looking for, they want you to join them on their level.  You need to bring them up, not because you are better, but because you want better for them!

If each of us takes a moment to just be nice, could you imagine the difference it could make?  Let's all remember the simple rules of etiquette and try to be the best people we can be.  Let's make our world not only better for ourselves, but for those around us. 

Okay, so I'm jumping off my soapbox.  I just thought we all could use the reminder.  Happy Friday to all!  Hope you have a great weekend -- do something nice! ;)  TTFN!

Here's a fun giveaway over at my friend, Shopaholic in Alabama's blog for a great Lilly Pulitzer prize!

XOXO,

Kim

1 comment: